Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Voice That Challenged a Nation (LDG)

The end of this book was very uplifting. Russell Freedman brought everything together and had a way with his words that made everything seem alright in the end. The end of Marian's life seemed to be the easiest for her because she didn't have as much trouble getting to play in most venues. I'm sure it was still hard on her when she played in the South. My favorite part in this section of the reading was her nephew expressing his anger about the fact that he was able to do so much and come and go as he pleased when she battled for so long for the right to sing wherever she wanted. I admire Marian for her ability to forgive the DAR for not allowing her to sing in Constitution Hall. The fact that she could even go in the doors of that place after all the society had done to her was just amazing to me.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I really enjoyed reading this whole book. I learned a lot about Marian Anderson that I did not already know. One thing that really impressed me in this last section of the book was how despite her reluctance to become a central figure in the civil rights movement she decided not to sing at places that had segregrated seating. She was thrust into the position of a leader and role model for young children, and she lived up to those expectations. She worked hard for all of her success. I also thought it was very important that Freedman pointed out that she forgave the DAR. She could have held a grudge and hated them for the rest of her life, but she didn't. It takes a big person to forgive such an injustice.

Stephanie B. said...

I enjoyed reading these last two chapters. I was excited that she finally got married! I was impressed too when she finally made the decision not to perform before a segregated audience. Times had changed and her influence was helping them change. I, too, liked reading the part about Anderson`s nephew telling her how was able to do what he wanted to do and go where he wanted to, but how those things were denied to her in 1939. He was overwhelmed with different emotions. When he called to tell her that he was grateful, it brought tears to my eyes. Her ability to forgive the DAR for denying her the right to sing at Constitution Hall was impressive. And, she even sang there at the beginning of her farewell tour. I am really glad that I had the opportunity to read about Marian Anderson and learn about someone that I knew nothing about. She was a beautiful, talented singer that was a role model to people everywhere.

Kathy J. said...

I loved this book. There were several times when I cried! When it talked about her nephew, it really kind of hit home with me because I can see where that would make Marian feel so accomplished because she made things better for someone she loved.